SOCCER AND THE SHARIAH — WHAT IS ISLAM’S STANCE REGARDING THE WORLD CUP
“Every sport is impermissible because Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Every sport of the son of Aadam is baatil except his play with his wife, training with his horse and practising with his bow.” (Al-Jaamius Sagheer, Vol. 1, page 483)
When a Muslim reads the above Hadeeth, he is supposed to understand the purpose why Allah Ta’ala created him. About Muslims, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Verily this world has been created for you while you have been created for the Aakhirah.” The primary purpose of man’s creation and despatch to this ephemeral earthly abode as declared in the Qur’aan Shareef is: “I have not created jinn and man but for worshipping Me.”
As far as the Mu’mineen and Islam are concerned, sport is a morally and spiritually destructive activity. It diverts man from the purpose of life. Life is a serious affair. It is extremely short. In relation to the never-ending life of the Aakhirah there is absolutely no relationship and no comparison of this world with the Aakhirah in terms of time. Allah Ta’ala dispatched us into this dunya for a few years to prepare ourselves for the everlasting stay in Jannah which is the Mu’min’s Home of joy and entertainment. This life is not the abode of play, amusement, joy and entertainment for the Mu’min.
The precious moments of this life may not be squandered in idle sport, baatil joy and entertainment. These are the pastime occupations of the people of fisq, fujoor and kufr. Joy and entertainment for the Believers will be found in their Homes in Jannat. This dunya is not their home, hence Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “This dunya is the home for him who has no home (in the Aakhirah). It is wealth for him who has no wealth. And, he who has no Aql (intelligence) accumulates it (wealth).”
When even halaal wealth pursued legitimately is viewed in Islam with disdain if pursued unnecessarily, what does the Aql then decree regarding baatil lahw and la’ib?
It is Waajib for the Mu’mineen to adopt the life style and pattern of life of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and his Sahaabah. Thus, the Qur’aan Majeed states: “Verily in the Rasool of Allah there is for you a beautiful pattern (of life), for him who has hope in meeting Allah and the Aakhirah, and he remembers Allah much.” (Surah Al-Ahzaab, Aayat 21).
Did sports feature in the Uswah Hasanah (the Beautiful lifestyle) of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and the Sahaabah? Indeed, in terms of the Hadith, let us not betray Allah, His Rasool, the Ummah and Islam.
If one truly understands why Allah Ta’ala created him, then it will be unintelligent and a negation of common sense to say that the World Cup brings one closer to Allah. On the contrary, the world cup and all professional sports take one further away from Deen and further away from the Aakhirah. These Kuffaar sports make one forget the Qabr and only increases one in sin.
Amongst the sins of the World Cup, Tournaments, Champions Leagues, 20-20 series, Olympics, and all Kuffaar sport, etc. are the following Haraam acts:
- Discarding Salaah. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “The dividing line between kufr and Imaan is Salaah.” Salaah is delayed; neglected and even Salaah times are adjusted to enable the fussaaq and fujjaar to be in time for the viewing of the haraammatch. Even the Azaan is not respected. The entire sport industry is in conflict with the Shariah.
- Tashabbuh Bil Kuffaar. Emulating all the ways, styles and attitudes of the kuffaar players, deifying the fussaaq, fujjaar, kuffaar drunken players. Dressing up like the players, imitating them and behaving like them in dress and manner is very famous amongst Muslims. Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “He who imitates a nation, is one of them.” All these national and international sporting events are Kuffaar events which a Muslim should not follow. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said that even if the kuffaar would creep into a lizard’s hole, Muslims would follow suit.
- No respect for Islam, Jumu’ah, Ramadaan, etc. During Ramadaan, people indulge in Haraam soccer and cricket. And even during the time of Jumu’ah Salaah, people are at the stadiums. The Deen is treated like a joke with these Kuffaar sports to the extent that even the Kalimah is dishonoured!
- Intermingling of the sexes. In fact, even the so-called Muslim schools and the Haraam soccer tournaments amongst local ‘Muslims’ in Kimberley, Johannesburg, Cape Town, P.E., etc. break the laws of Allah with their Haraam tournaments! What then should be said about the World Cup and Olympics???
- Hero-Worship. “When the faasiq is praised, the Arsh of Allah shudders.” (Hadith) Don’t they praise the players and the teams? All of these players are Fussaaq. Many of these players are even anti-Islam. They hate Islam and are even pro-Israeli, yet we praise these sports players who do so much Haraam. The list of evils are too much. Here are a few more Haraam acts associated with tournaments, World Cup, Olympics and all Kuffaar Sports:
- Music – Dajjaal’s weapon
- Liquor – with all Kuffaar sports.
- Zina – of all types.
- Prostitution and Immorality
- Viewing the satr of players
- Photography and Television
- Clowns and buffoons with painted faces.
- Raucous shouting, jeering and insulting of drunken louts
- Wasting of huge amounts of money and time.
- Viewing scantily dressed faajiraat
Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “The Fire is covered with (things of) desire, and Jannat is veiled with hardships.”