VIRTUOUS ACTS TO PERFORM AND BID’AAT TO ABSTAIN FROM
Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said:“Fast on the Day of Aashura (10th Muharram) and oppose the Jews in this (issue of the fasting). Fast a day before it (i.e. on the 9th and 10th) OR a day after it (i.e. 10th and 11th).” [Musnad Ahmed – Bayhaqi – Saheeh Ibn Khuzaimah]
(1) The 10th of Muharram is called the Day of Aashura – a Day of significance and auspiciousness. On this Day, Nabi Musa Alayhis Salaam was saved from Fir’oun.
(2) It is Sunnat to fast on either the 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th of Muharram. The sins committed the previous year are forgiven by virtue of the fasts of Aashura.
(3) Whilst spending a bit lavishly on the family on the Day of Aashurah is a valid Sunnah, exchanging gifts has no Sunnah significance. The gift-custom is Bid’ah.
(4) ‘Big-night’ functions are not permissible.
(5) Gatherings to celebrate or mourn Aashura are not permissible.
Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “Whoever clings to my Sunnah at the time of the corruption of my Ummah will obtain the reward of a hundred martyrs (shuhada).”